Silver Elvis is great, but he did not make our list of Most Promising Sounding Buskers. Photo courtesy of Scotiabank BusterFest.
Scotiabank BuskerFest promises to bring the best street performers from around the world to our city’s front door on Yonge Street. After being subjected to sub-standard street performances for most of the year, it’s understandable that some Torontonians might have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to appreciating buskers and all that they do. But reading the descriptions of some of the acts that will be gracing our streets, we found ourselves captivated by the incredible feats and stupendous acts being promised this year. These aren’t your run of the mill bucket drummers. We haven’t actually seen any of these performers yet, but here’s our list of the most promising sounding buskers at BuskerFest 2013.
8. Canada’s Catwall Acrobats from Quebec City teeter on a teeterboard apparatus that propels them up to 9 metres high in the air, defying the laws of physics!
The laws of physics are literally the only thing holding our planet together, so this blatant disregard for them is not to be missed.
7. Duo ComicCasa, a super funny Swiss/Israeli couple delight audiences with their performance about love and the circus – for a show about their love for circus!
Sure they love the circus, but I for one can’t wait to hear more of their political opinions.
6. Rob Roy Collins, an impressive comedic escape artist and acrobat from the United Kingdom who literally finishes his show on a high as he escapes from 20 metres of steel chain and handcuffs on top of a 12-foot ladder!
Brought to you by Home Hardware!
5. The Sauruses are back! All the way from the Cretaceous Period, by way of modern-day Holland, these beautiful, larger-than life sized dinosaurs are absolutely thrilling for audience members of all ages.
Dinosaurs enlarged to show texture.
4. Fireguy combines sophisticated fire-breathing and world-class devil sticks.
You’re gonna want to put down your Tamagotchi’s and pay attention to this one.
3. Lisa Lottie is a world-class hula hoopist who “Bends it like Barbie” with super stunts of flexibility and a finale of the most dangerous hula hoop trick in the world!
I’m having trouble imagining what the most dangerous hula hoop trick in the world might be.
2. Seb Whipits is a sexually ambiguous German Whip performer with a laid-back energy and some serious whip skills with an unbelievable duel fire whip finale on a 2.25m Unicycle!
1. Funny Waiter who spins plates, pulls out the tablecloth from under a pitcher of water, and juggles rubber chickens.
Scotiabank BuskerFest in support of Epilepsy Toronto runs August 22 to 25 throughout the Downtown Yonge Neighbourhood.