Public meeting on Toronto’s downtown casino
Citizens of Toronto are invited to share their opinion on a proposed downtown casino, at a public consultation hearing on Wednesday.
The public will have an opportunity to speak at city hall, and address concerns or endorsements for the contentious proposal.
Organized by the Toronto and East York Community Council, the event comes on the heels of a citizens’ group, which launched an online petition against a downtown casino last week.
According to 680 News, the group said the possible gambling, entertainment and lifestyle complex would hurt local businesses and neighbourhoods. The public will have their chance to weigh-in at 6 p.m.
Police investigate Bloor and Christie area assaults
Toronto police are investigating a possible link between three sexual assaults in the Bloor and Christie area over the Thanksgiving weekend, and multiple attacks in the region this summer.
On Saturday night, two women were assaulted near Montrose Avenue and Harbord Street. A third woman was attacked on Sunday night, near Grace and Bloor streets, before the suspect fled northbound on Grace Street. In each case, the women were approached from behind, and assaulted, writes 680 News. These were the first attacks in the area since late Aug., but they all followed a similar pattern.
Police describe the Thanksgiving weekend suspect as a black man between the ages of 23 to 25, around 5’6,” with a heavy build, and short, dark hair.
Those living in the area are being told to report any suspicious behaviour to the police. As a result, community organizer Rebecca Mallinson is planning a Walk in Support of the Women of Christie Pits, to be held this Friday, at 8 p.m.
Are you ready to be Tak3n? What about Taken 3: The Rescue? Or Lost in New York? The producer and screenwriter of Taken 2 hinted that another Liam Neeson revenge sequel might be in the works, in a new interview with Hollywood.com.
Producer Luc Besson and writer Robert Mark Kamen told Hollywood.com they had not considered adding another Taken film to the series until the boffo success of its first sequel, which posted a higher-than-expected $49.5-million opening weekend. The original Taken, which shocked critics for its brutal violence, earned $24.7-million on its opening weekend in 2008.
But, if another sequel is greenlit, expect a few changes. “Fox wants us to do a third one,” said Kamen. “We’ve taken everyone we can take — it’s going to go in another direction…”[It] should be interesting.”
Earlier this week, Neeson spoke to Collider.com and said Taken 3 probably would not happen.
“How many times can she be taken?” said Neeson, to Collider.com. “I mean, it’s bad parenthood, really, after that.”
Joanna Adams writes about news and entertainment for Toronto Standard. Follow her on Twitter atâ€ @nowstarringTO.