In the weeks leading up to Father’s Day, our inboxes were filled to the brim with gift guide suggestions for the wonderful men in our lives. While we moan and groan about seeing the same images over and over (Ed note: and over…) again, it’s always interesting to see what PRs think we could potentially convince our dads (expecially the old school ones) to wear.
So to all the men who got a pair of Happy Socks from a well-meaning daughter, I hope you got a gift receipt. I bring you a Collector’s Edition for the guy who likes his accessories classic with a touch of cool. Leave the colour to your polos and ties– these accessories look best in, what else, but black?
1. A belt– because you’re a big kid now. (JeansWest Barney Vintage Belt, $30)
2. Much like a finely-tailored suit, sunglasses (especially aviators alla Tom Cruise in Top Gun) have the ability to transform a guy. (Ray-Ban Aviator Metal Sunglasses, $215)
3. If you opt for a wallet over a bag (see #5), just make sure it dones’t grow to epic George Costanza proportions. (Victoria & Maude Wallet Slimline, $335)
4. Watches are to men as statement necklaces are to women. You can never have too many. (Nixon The Chronicle black watch, $400)
6. I’ve an enforced ‘no socks’ rule that starts in May and goes through November. These slip-ons make going from cement to sand an easy, one-step process. (Vans Authentic Black & White Shoes, $90)
7. A boater hat is a huge step if you’re mostly a ball cap kinda man, but it’s definitely cheaper than a yacht. (Bailey Hats Porkpie Straw Boater, $50)
Bianca Teixeira writes about style for Toronto Standard. Follow her on Twitter at @BeeLauraTee.