Toronto City Hall was evacuated this afternoon after a fire broke out in of the building’s electrical rooms.
The fire broke out at around 1:45 p.m. It appears to have been caused by a hydro worker who accidentally knocked a ladder onto the room’s grounding bar, short circuiting it in the process.
The blaze was quickly extinguished by firefighters. However, two city hall employees had to be taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
There’s no word yet on when city hall employees will be allowed to get back in the building. [via Toronto Star]
Image courtesy of Kristyn Wong Tam’s Twitter account.
Igor Bonifacic is the managing editor of Toronto Standard. Follow him on Twitter.