Vanity Muscles, aka Lucy Lo’, aka one half of 84.85, is the latest moniker from local DJ/producer Jay Jolliffe. VM is designed as a vehicle to marry Jolliffe’s two loves: rap music and house music. His latest mix, and the latest in our Standard Tapes series, focuses on the former.
Rather than blurring lines between genres, this mix blurs the frontier between mainstream and underground. If you’re a fan of rap or hip hop, some of these track names will probably be familiar to you; the same goes if you spend any amount of time on music blogs. But there’s also some tracks here that you may not recognize–and that’s good. One of the best parts about going out and seeing a DJ is discovering new music you didn’t know you loved. Same goes for downloading a mixtape from the internet.
Vanity Muscles is releasing a new, original production every week at his tumblr. You can also catch him playing rap music on October 29 at Red Light on Dundas West.
01. Dom Kennedy, 1997
02. Curren$y. King Kong
03. Prison Garde, I Know You’re Mine
04. Vanity Muscles, Day Late
05. Kanye West and Jay-Z, Illest Motherfucker Alive
06. Big K.R.I.T. ft/ 8-Ball & MJG and 2Chainz, Money On The Floor
07. Lil’ Wayne, She Will
08. Yelawolf ft/ Bun B, Good To Go
09. UGK, Front Back, Side to Side
10. T.I. ft/ UGK, Front Back
11. 8-Ball &MJG, Pimp Hard
12. Three 6 Mafia, Ridin’ Spinners
13. Thurz – Dope
14. CDC, CDC
15. Chuck inglish & Asher Roth, In The Kitchen
16. Get Busy Committee, Opening Ceremony
17. Eastsidaz, I Luv It
18. Prison Garde, Be Loved