Last week we told you that Toronto Star reporter Daniel Dale was examining his legal options after Rob Ford visited Conrad Black’s Zoomer TV interview program and insinuated Dale was a pedophile.
Last Thursday night, Dale served Ford with a libel notice, stating that if Ford offered a full retraction and apology before the weekend was over, he would rescind the lawsuit. The weekend came and went with nary a word from the Ford camp, so Dale is continuing with his lawsuit.
“I would have very much preferred to not be carrying on and just accepting a retraction and apology, but since an apology hasn’t been received, I’m moving forward on this,” Dale said earlier today.
Since Ford’s appearance on Black’s show, Dale said he’s received messages calling him “a pedophile, a pervert, a sicko.”
Rob Ford remains silent about the case. Last week Doug Ford told reporters that Dale’s lawsuit was a ploy by the Toronto Star, who are using Dale as a “pawn.”
“Folks, this is all about the Toronto Star – it is very simple, a hurting newspaper,” he said. “This is all about selling newspapers.”
The Star has stated it will help cover Dale’s legal costs in the lawsuit.
(via: The Globe and Mail)